Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Draft Day

If I were an 18-year-old in 1970 and I received my notice that I have been drafted to the Vietnam war, I would stay in the U.S. and protest.  I would feel the same anger and confusion and dizziness Tim O'Brien wrote about, except more anger and less of the other emotions.  I wouldn't be able to leave my family and friends for war.  My family wouldn't let me go, especially my mom.  She'd sooner escape to Canada with me, but I don't think I could handle being the reason my family had to start a new life in Canada, so I'd stay home.  Like O'Brien, initially I would want to leave for Canada but unlike him, I'd talk to my family about it.  My town wouldn't detest me for not going to war and neither would my family.  I would have trouble deciding between staying home or going to Canada, but like O'Brien's experience in the lodge, I'd have some sort of epiphany to push me to my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment