Wednesday, October 8, 2014

If I were an 18-year-old in 1970 who had just been drafted to fight in the Vietnam War I would escape to Canada.  By escaping to Canada I wouldn't have to fight in the war and I wouldn't have to protest against it, which wouldn't do much help anyways.  I know that I may never see my family and friends again, but it's better than dying in the war.  I can make new friends in Canada and if I'm lucky they will eventually allow me back in the United States.

O'Brien decided to enlist in the army and serve in the war.  He didn't want to escape to Canada because he thought people would think bad about him and he didn't want to burn his draft card and protest either.  He thought that was being a coward, but people called him a coward anyways for going into the war without trying to fight his way out of it.  He claimed he wouldn't be brave but the fact that he went into the war when everyone else was too scared to just proves how brave of a person he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment