Thursday, April 7, 2016

My Heart Is Anemic

A song that reminds me of poetry is " The Kids Aren't Alright" by Fall Out Boy. I feel that this song's message is that you can get through anything. The speaker's audience appears to be a young child that is going through hard times and need some positvity in his life. The speaker is presented as the up lifter, a person who has been down the same rode and knows how to get out of the funk.

 However, I feel that this poem has a much deeper meaning. I believe that this song is also about abusive or one-sided love and depression. The speakers talks about the difficult time that the young boy is going through: "Stuck in the jet wash./Bad trip I couldn't get off./And maybe I bit off more than I could chew/And overhead of the aqua blue." This verse is a reference  to both the instability and the pain one would feel when being in an abusive relationship. It also shows how difficult it can be to let go of it and how it becomes incredibly difficult to handle. Like you're trapped and you know you need to get away but you just don't know where to go or that you wouldn't know how to function if you did.

Fall Out Boy says,  "Empty your sadness like you're dumping your purse on my bedroom floor." He uses a simile to show the effect that sadness has on him.For a woman dumping her purse on the floor is like the end of the world, sadness has the same effect on him. Leading back to the fact that being sad only weighs you down and that everything only gets better. Just like you everything can get put back in the purse.

One last thing that caught my eyes that he says is  "And your love is anemic." He used a metaphor comparing love to a disease. This helps the poem because it shows the depressing side of the poem. In the begging, the song was all of the wrong things because he was so far in depression. Their heart was cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment